Saturday, February 26, 2011

Jiffy Greenhouse


The sun gently warming seeds planted for this year's garden this morning inspired me to start a poem:

I THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a Jiffy Greenhouse

A greenhouse whose acreage is prest
Against my wife's line-of-sight into the back yard...

Although plans are to add a few more similes to flesh it out, you have to admit those first few lines have an award-winning ring to them.

In the following picture, I realize that experienced gardeners need no further explanation. But since I can't tell by looking, I will share that there are multiple plantings of tomato, bell pepper, thyme, basil, and parsley seeds waiting to sprout and lend words to the poem’s next verse.


The herbs were an afterthought, and may not germinate because the seeds are two years old (the dog was a major player in what happened to the seeds from the packs’ first planting). If they do sprout, plans are to include them in a separate bed.

Back to the poem...


.

3 comments:

  1. How soon can you plant these outside?We are in the same zone but the last few yrs I don't put these plants out till after 5/15

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been told that, around here, no more frost happens after April 15. Plans are to keep an eye on the more experienced gardeners, and follow their lead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to get them in the first week of May but they just sat there suffering until the air finally warmed up.I am surrounded on 3 side with 35F water.

    ReplyDelete